Why DIRECT has been developed and how it will benefit your business ?
“Over 4.2 million tonnes of food waste is disposed to landfill in Australia each year. Around 1.5 million tonnes of this is from the commercial and industrial sector, costing around $10.5 billion in waste disposal charges and lost product. The largest single contributor in the commercial and industrial sector is food service activities (e.g., cafes, restaurants, fast food outlets), which generate 661,000 tonnes of food waste per year, followed by food manufacturing (312,000 tonnes) and food retail (179,000 tonnes). Most waste in food manufacturing is unavoidable, and almost 90% is already recovered as animal feed, compost or energy.”Verghese, K., Lewis, H., Lockrey, S., Williams, H., The role of packaging in minimising food waste in the supply chain, Report prepared for CHEP, December 2013.
The aim of DIRECT is to help food producers gain efficiency in managing their resources (ingredients, packaging, energy, water and product). Your business can reduce resources consumption and costs, through using DIRECT.
DIRECT has been designed for businesses:
- In the food supply chain
- Who want to reduce waste & improve resource efficiency in their operations
- Who want a framework to build a short or long term strategy to get the best out of their resources
DIRECT will provide a lens and new way of gaining:
- A clear and systemic view of all resource inputs and outputs of your business
- Identifying where resources are lost or wasted
- Prioritising resource efficiency actions
- Enhancing visibility on avoidable & unavoidable waste, and identification of opportunities for improvement.
The calculation module of DIRECT has been co-designed with business owners, Chief Executive Officers (CEOs), Chief Financial Officers (CFOs), managing Directors, and production managers from organisations within the Plenty Food Group. This approach has ensured that the tool is tailored, functional, and practical.