Welcome to the Dynamic Industry Resource Efficiency Calculation Tool (DIRECT)
Aim & Benefits of DIRECT for business:
The aim of DIRECT is to help food producers gain efficiency in managing their resources. DIRECT has been developed with industry in order to be effective and relevant. Your business will benefit from using DIRECT by reducing resource consumption and associated business costs. With DIRECT you will:
- Understand and calculate the true cost of waste
- Understand and conduct a resource efficiency assessment
- Understand how to identify and calculate resource efficiency
- Understand the business value of improving resource efficiency
DIRECT: Dynamic Industry Resource Efficiency Calculation Tool:
DIRECT is based on three steps:
1. Data collection:
- DIRECT 1: Material and energy inputs
- DIRECT 2: Material and energy outputs
- DIRECT 3: Business costs
In addition, Tips and Practices provide assistance for companies to review, benchmark and improve resource efficiency.
2. Results and report
3. Hot spot analysis
Use the results of DIRECT to:
- Obtain a picture of the resources used and lost through the different stages of your business.
- Identify the gains that you could create by increasing resource efficiency with the potential to save money.
- Disseminate results internally within the business to communicate what savings and efficiency gains can be achieved.
DIRECT calculation module page: click here.
Resources & Forum: the information hub:
Some waste will be unavoidable but what are alternative waste management and treatment options besides going to landfill. Where can value be added? With the DIRECT forum you can:
- Find out how to take advantages of any opportunities that are identified though completing DIRECT.
- Align each opportunity with possible actions and partners.
DIRECT can be used on a regular basis to record the trends that your business follows to increase resource efficiency.